Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chard Pie, Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cakes

Meatless Monday Menu – Chard Pie, Chocolate-Zucchini Snack Cakes
Farm Share Produce – Onion, Chard, Zucchini

Swiss Chard Pie
In “From Asparagus to Zucchini”

The following recipe makes 2 pies. I halved the ingredients and made only one pie.

1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
1 bunch Chard, rough chopped and stems removed
6 eggs
1 cup shredded cheese
1 t salt
2 pie crusts (I used the frozen shells – baked from frozen)

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet on medium-high heat the oil, brown the onion and garlic. Add the Chard to the skillet and cook until wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a bowl whish the eggs, mix in cheese and chard mixture. Pour evenly into the two pie crusts. Bake 30-40 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Chocolate-Zucchini Snack Cake
From Everyday with Rachael Ray April 2011

I passed out samples at playground camp this morning. The feeling on this snack cake was it had good flavor but was too moist. Here is the report from the dinner table…my husband was expecting my best friend’s gooey brownie after looking in the pan, he hated it. My older child said it was just okay and proceed to lick his bowl and beg to have a piece for breakfast. My younger son said it was good, and ate most of what I gave him.

I happen to really like it, but am also not sure about the texture. It’s not a cake, not a brownie, and not fudge. It has qualities of all three. The recipe suggests serving it with a dollop of vanilla yogurt. I didn’t like it that way, but whipped topping or vanilla ice cream would be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment