Monday, July 18, 2011

Baked Summer Squash

The Baked Summer Squash was not a winner. It tasted okay, but the texture was odd and I went 10 minutes past the cooking time of the recipe and it still needed more time.

I’ve rewritten the recipe here with the changes I would make. If I ever have an overabundance of summer squash, I’d try it this way. The flavors were good. The changes I’ve made are to distribute the flour mixture throughout the baked dish. I took out some of the liquid. My dish was very oily and I don’t think the flour mixture could begin to brown because it didn’t have the time to dry out within the cooking time. The cooking time also needed to be extended for the Summer Squash, we still had raw bits in ours.

Baked Summer Squash
In “From Asparagus to Zucchini”

Printable Version

½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup AP flour
2-3 sprigs fresh Thyme leaves
½ t garam masala
1/8 t dried oregano
½ t salt
¼ cup oil (safflower, vegetable, olive)
½ cup water with 3 T tomato paste or ½ cup broth or ½ cup tomato juice
1 – 1 ½ pounds Summer Squash, sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the flour, spices, oil, and liquid together in a small to medium mixing bowl.

Spray a medium sized baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the bottom with slices of Summer Squash. Place dollops of the flour mixture on that layer. Continue with another layer on top with more dollops. Repeat until you are out of Summer Squash and flour mixture.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment