Sunday, July 3, 2011

Basil Pesto

We spent yesterday at a friend’s Lake House. We kayaked, swam in the lake, and played in the sand. It was a beautiful, wonderful day. I brought bread and Basil pesto to share.

Basil Pesto
From “The Joy of Cooking”

Printable Version
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/83503204/basil-pesto

2 cup packed fresh Basil Leaves (farm share food)
1/3 cup pine nuts
2 medium cloves garlic, rough chopped
½ cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Process in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Dutch Oven Bread
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print
This recipe with bread flour or AP flour is just AMAZING! I really would like to use a local ingredient and get the same results.
I have made the recipe before using only local flour I got at the farmer’s market that visually resembled whole wheat. It was the flour recommended to me by the farmer for baking bread. The bread was flat, dense, and chewy. We did not enjoy it.
The recipe calls for three cups of flour. Yesterday’s bread was made with one cup of local flour and the other two being King Arthur’s bread flour. This combination was good, a little moist.
I will likely make it again this week and I have another experimentation idea. I’ll let you know how that one works.

1 comment:

  1. I made the bread again. 1 cup local flour, 2 cups bread flour. When it was time to add the water I added 1 1/4 cup. Then I slowly added more until the ingredients came together in a ball of dough. It worked. The bread had a nice consistency.

    ReplyDelete