Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Garlicky Spaghetti

So here is the story of last night’s dinner. First, you need to know my husband approaches any dish with bitter greens, like arugula, with trepidation. Let me just tell you he is counting the days to CSA time too because he just can’t wait for all those green leaves – the bitter ones and the ones I turn into pastes, as he refers to the many pesto’s that grace our table.

So I get to eating first, and declare this dinner DELICIOUS! He says, “Great, so I’m not going to like it”. After 2 or 3 bites, he too declares it delicious. We have a winner!!! I’ll say it right now, this one will be served several times this summer. It could be made ahead, we’ll go to the pool, and have dinner waiting for us when we return. Last night’s version was made with arugula and green garlic from the market. I can’t wait for those sweet little tomatoes fresh from the farm to give this dish that much more flavor.


Garlicky Spaghetti with Beans and Greens
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1911373

I think this dish worked because it has heat from the crushed red pepper and sweetness from the tomatoes that doesn’t allow the bitterness of the greens to overpower. Any bitter green would work in this dish, and there should be lots of those during CSA season. We also had this for Meatless Monday and it makes for a great choice with the beans, pasta, and veggies making for a complete meal. Like I said, we have a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment