Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Red Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Meatless Monday Menu – Red Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce

I used the green garlic in the pasta sauce and in the dressing for the salad. It smelled good, especially cooking in the olive oil, and not surprisingly it is not as strong as fully formed garlic. I love having it around because it reminds me of spring and that the growing season is on it's way.

This salad is good with the comfort foods of winter or with soup on a rainy day like yesterday. I want to keep it in mind for next winter because so many of the ingredients can be stored over the winter or will be at the winter farmer’s market. In our salad the sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, and red leaf lettuce were all local.

Red Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/red-leaf-salad-with-roasted-sweet-potatoes?comments_page=1&showComments=true&#conversation-container

I’m giving you the link because I changed very little. I used almonds instead of walnuts because I had them on hand and I don’t particularly care for walnuts. I also used Greek yogurt instead of plain. I couldn’t find any plain yogurt to my liking at the grocery store and I enjoy the thickness of the Greek yogurt. It was just fine for dressing – the vinegar breaks it down enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment