Friday, March 19, 2010

Pesto Salmon and Broccoli


Thursday Menu – Pesto Salmon, Broccoli, Pilaf

Last night's dinner smelled so good while it cooked. The fresh broccoli from the market had a lovely aroma while it steamed, the basil filled the room when the salmon cooked, and the garlic in the pilaf comforted everyone.

Along with the arugula pesto I mentioned the other day, I also have my last bag of basil pesto from the summer that I froze in ice cube trays in the freezer. One cube was perfect for last night’s salmon.

Pesto Salmon

2 T basil pesto
2 or 3 T corn starch
2 salmon fillets

Spread pesto on salmon in a thin layer. Coat salmon fillet with cornstarch. Place salmon in a skillet with hot oil. Cook salmon 4 minutes per side.
Same method as in this post, just added the pesto under the cornstarch layer.
http://purplecook.blogspot.com/2010/03/crispy-thai-style-seared-salmon.html

I cut up the florets of broccoli and then cut the stalks very thin. If you cut the stalks thin they will cook at the same rate as the florets and turn out rich and buttery. I put it all in the skillet and let it steam with some olive oil and chicken stock for about 10 minutes with the lid on. Then I took the lid off and let it brown on the edges. I finish it with a little sesame oil and my family gobbles up broccoli every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment