Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vinaigrette

We had a salad with dinner last night using the greens I got from the market. Also, I just finished a funny book about a locally owned coffee house and eatery. It had a recipe for vinaigrette and the author invited folks to try their own flavor profiles. I made the basic vinaigrette for last night’s salad. I thought I’d try lots of flavor profiles, vinaigrettes and dressing recipes in the next couple of months and give you the recipes and reports – hopefully we’ll have lots of salad greens when it comes time for CSA season.

Vinaigrette
Adapted from Marc Renson

2 T roughly chopped bell pepper
1 T roughly chopped onion (local, from my 10 lb bag I got at the market)
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil

Blend all the ingredients except the oil with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Slowly add oil while continuing to blend.

A note about equipment: The immersion blender is my favorite kitchen tool. I use it at least 2 or 3 times a week, minimum. It is fabulous for jobs like this vinaigrette, marinades, pesto, pureed soups, and on and on. Yesterday, while making this dressing I finally figured out a method that works for me when asked to slowly add the oil while continuing to blend. I am an absolute klutz at doing this while I’m using a hand whisk, I just can’t do it. But yesterday I turned on my immersion blender and had my ½ cup of oil ready in my silicone measuring cup and was able to slowly add the oil while the immersion blender created a nice emulsion. The silicone measuring cup was nice because I had the right amount and was able to create a nice pour spout with the measuring cup – I love my silicone measuring cups to!

No comments:

Post a Comment