Monday, July 1, 2013

A Trio of Zucchini and Summer Squash

 
Monday Night Menu – Shrimp and Herb Salad, Zucchini Rice, Squash and Onions with Brown Sugar
Farm Share Food – Salanova Head Lettuce, Summer Squash, Parsley, Zucchini, Scallions, Garlic Scapes
 
Recipe Reviewed: Shrimp and Herb Salad
 
This was a light and refreshing salad.  As for the veggies in the salad, they were all from the CSA. 
 
I boiled my shrimp because they were still frozen when I went to make dinner.  I boiled water in a large saucepan with Old Bay Seasoning, lemon peel, crushed red pepper, bay leaf, cumin seeds, and salt and pepper.  They were tender and tasty.
 
We didn’t get Basil this week, so I used Parsley in the salad.  I put dried oregano in the dressing.  The salad mix was gone, but I still had head lettuce.  It worked great in the salad.
 
Recipe Revisited: Zucchini Rice
 
I’ve mentioned this recipe on the blog before.  The rice creates a great aroma.  This recipe makes a great side dish.  I’ve been shredding and freezing zucchini – this recipe is a perfect way to use a bag of shredded zucchini in the winter months.
 
 
This was suggested by a reader several weeks ago.  The reader said her family couldn’t get enough.  The same was true at our dinner table.  I used scallions for the onions and added a chopped up garlic scape with the scallions.  I also used one summer squash and one zucchini.  Mouthwatering!

No comments:

Post a Comment