Friday, July 26, 2013

Recipe Reviewed: Grilled Eggplant Banh Mi Sandwich

Keeper!
 

According to Wikipedia Banh Mi refers to the bread made in Vietnam based on the French baguette introduced to the Vietnamese during the French colonization period.  So Banh Mi is any sandwich made on this bread.  This Grilled Eggplant version is delicious.  It would also be great with the addition of grilled chicken, pork, or slices of steak. 
 
I wasn’t super organized putting these sandwiches together.  I was doing small steps all day.  I was getting frustrated and thinking how sandwiches with lots of prep just aren’t worth it.  Then it all came together and they got compliments from everyone I shared them with at the pool.  I began to rethink my review of this recipe.  First off, I’m always looking for easy meals to take to the pool with us for dinner.  This packed up easy and was a tasty meal.  Next time I make them I will gather everything into a prep line.  Prepare the carrots, grill the eggplant, make the peanut spread, and slice the cucumber, jalapeno, and herbs.  Once these are parts are organized the sandwich comes together quickly.
 

Thursday Menu – Grilled Eggplant Banh Mi, Microwave Potato Chips, Cucumber Salad
Farm Share Food – Eggplant, Cucumber, Basil, Potatoes
 
Grilled Eggplant Banh Mi
 
I substituted a couple of ingredients.  I traded fish sauce for the yellow miso called for in the recipe.  I was looking for the umami offered by the miso that fish sauce also provides.  It was a good substitution because it loosened up the peanut butter spread.  I traded basil for cilantro.  Simply, we got basil from the share this week and I didn’t have any fresh cilantro.
 
Hummus would make a good substitution for peanut butter if you have allergies.
 
I need to give a shout out to the Microwave Potato Chips we had with this meal.  They are amazing, crispy, golden bites!  And they are made in the microwave.  Follow the link for instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment