Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Week Bonus of 2012

A beautiful, new to me, purple vegetable to start the CSA season!  It's Kohlrabi.


Our CSA started a week early!  Last night’s dinner plan went haywire and I wound up eating some odd leftovers in the fridge along with a salad of the Head Lettuce.  One bite, CSA heaven!

This week we got…

Broccoli Rabe, Cilantro, Head Lettuce, Kohlrabi, Radishes, Red Russian Kale, Summer Squash, Tatsoi, Turnips

My plans…

Broccoli Rabe – I’ll make this pasta starter for the freezer.

Cilantro – I’m making Asian Guacamole for a picnic.  I didn’t expect to get Cilantro in our bonus week, but I’m sure glad I did because I forgot to get some at the store when I was planning on the guacamole for the picnic.

Head Lettuce – Salad Heaven!  A friend who is new to our CSA sent along this recipe for Green GoddessDressing.  She skips the anchovy, I likely will too!

Kohlrabi – this one is new to me, but I do have a few tips to share.  Our CSA suggests peeling it and eating it raw or stir fried.  My sister’s CSA suggests using it to replace cabbage in any slaw.

Radishes – I’ve been looking forward to having this Buttery Shrimp and Radish Pasta again since we early CSA season last year.  I’m also intrigued by this Glazed Radish recipe.

Red Russian Kale – I love to freeze this Sausage and KaleSoup.

Tatsoi – here is a great post on what Tatsoi is and how to use it from Food Blogga.  That Tatsoi I brought home yesterday reminds me of spinach.  I might try it in this Spinach Pea Salad with Grilled Shrimp.

Summer Squash and Turnips – no plan yet.  I’ll let you know where they wind up.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being here for us who are still learning what these funny looking veggies ARE, let alone how to cook them! Can't wait for this already awesome season to proceed!

    ReplyDelete