Friday, October 14, 2011

Keeping up with the CSA

I spent some time yesterday getting vegetables into storage.  
Peppers – Jalapenos, Poblanos, and Sweet
 
My mother in law gave me a bag of Poblanos, we got Jalapenos this week from the CSA, and we’ve gotten lots of peppers this season.  I simply cut them into strips or diced them and put them in the freezer.  I know have bags of Jalapenos, Poblanos, and Sweet Peppers in the freezer for winter stews, braises, or casseroles. 
 
Butternut Squash
 
I peeled and chopped the squash into 2inch cubes.  These went into a freezer bag.  Butternut Squash freezes nicely for stews, soups, braises, or roasts.
 
Broccoli Rabe and Garlic
 
I have a great recipe for Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe,Oregano, and Lemon.  I made part of this recipe, put it in the freezer, and will complete the dish one night for dinner.  Here is what I did...
 
Spicy Broccoli Rabe with Pasta (for the freezer)
 
Bring about 4 cups of water to boil in a deep skillet.  Add one bunch of broccoli rabe (stems removed and roughly chopped).  Boil for 4 minutes.  Drain and reserve.  Heat ¼ cup of olive oil over medium high heat.  Add 3 cloves of garlic (sliced) and ½ t of crushed red pepper.  Cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic starts to brown.  Remove from heat and toss Broccoli Rabe in the oil mixture.  Allow to cool.  When cool put in a freezer container and store in the freezer.
 
When you are ready to make the broccoli rabe for dinner, defrost the mixture.  Prepare a half a pound of pasta (penne or orecchiette) and brown some chicken sausage slices.  Warm the broccoli rabe mixture with the chicken sausage once it has browned.  Toss in the pasta, drizzle with a little lemon juice and serve with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment