Friday, June 8, 2012

Keeping up with the CSA - Bonus Week

I had a chunk of time today and got the Broccoli Rabe, Red Russian Kale, and Turnips into the Freezer.
 
Freezing Turnips
I referenced my favorite site on how to freeze veggies and now have a bag of frozen turnips I will eventually use for Biryani.
 
Red Russian Kale
I did make the Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup I planned to make.  I have two meals worth in the freezer.
 
Broccoli Rabe
I also froze the pasta starter I wanted to make.  I thought I would write a clearer recipe here.
 
Broccoli Rabe Pasta Starter
 
1 bunch Broccoli Rabe, stems removed and roughly chopped
¼ cup olive oil,
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
½ t crushed red pepper
 
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.  Add Broccoli Rabe and boil for 4 minutes.  Drain and reserve.
 
Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add garlic slices and crushed red pepper.  Cook 2-3 minutes until garlic begins to brown.  Remove pan from heat and add Broccoli Rabe.  Toss mixture together. Allow to cool and freeze mixture.
 
When ready to serve....
 
1 Broccoli Rabe Pasta Starter, defrosted
½ pound cooked pasta (Penne or Orecchiette)
1 package chicken sausage, sliced and browned
Lemon juice, to drizzle
Parmesan Cheese, to serve
 
Once the chicken sausage slices have browned add the Broccoli Rabe mixtures and warm through.  Toss in the pasta to warm through.  Drizzle with lemon juice and serve with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment