Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Delight-L-T

These sandwiches were delicious!  My husband said I should just title this posting delicious, but I wanted to play on the BLT theme that inspired these sandwiches.
 
I saw a recipe for T-L-T’s (Tofu, Lettuce, Tomato) Sandwiches that I really wanted to try.  I knew the kids needed something a little more, or at least something I knew they would eat, so I added turkey bacon to the mix.  The tofu could really replace the mayonnaise on a regular BLT.  It adds enough creaminess, while being a little healthier.  As I was making the sandwiches I felt like they needed a little something more and the bit of cilantro that was left in the fridge was calling to me.  The end result was a tofu, turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro pesto sandwich, which we will refer to as Delight-L-T.
 
Monday Menu – Delight-L-T sandwiches, Salad
Farm Share Food – Head Lettuce, Cilantro
 
Delight-L-T Sandwiches
inspired by Mitchell’s St. TLT’s found in Penzey’s Spices Summer 2012
 
1 12oz. package extra firm tofu
2 T grill seasoning or a favorite spice blend
2 T olive oil
turkey bacon slices, prepared using package directions
lettuce pieces for sandwiches
tomato slices
whole wheat bread slices
Cilantro Pesto
 
Remove tofu from package and wrap in paper towels for several minutes.  Cut the brick into thin slices.  Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet.  While the oil is heating, sprinkle 1 T of the grill seasoning on the tofu slices.  Place the tofu slices season side down in the pan.  Then sprinkle the other side with the remaining 1 T of grill seasoning.  After 4-5 minutes flip over the tofu slices.  Cook the tofu slices on the other side for another 4-5 minutes.
 
To assemble the sandwiches spread cilantro pesto on two slices of bread.  Place three tofu slices on one piece of bread, place turkey bacon slices on top of the tofu, pile lettuce and tomato next.  Place the other piece of bread on top and enjoy. 
 
NOTE:  I love this Cilantro Pesto recipe.  I had sunflower seeds in the house and not almonds this time.  It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment