Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Week 12 of 2011

Our hearts go out to our CSA farm as they deal with the flooding of Irene. We’ll put all the wonderful vegetables you have grown for us to good use on our table.

We got….

Beets, Cucumber, Delicata Squash, Eggplant, Garlic, Onions, Peppers – Carmen and Jalapeno, Tomatoes – small and large

Fruit: Peaches

My plans…

Beets
I’m going to make these Roasted Beets with a Balsamic Glaze as a side dish. It calls for orange, but I’ll be check “The Flavor Bible” to see if I can substitute another citrus, orange is not my favorite flavor.

Cucumber
My cucumber’s always just go into a salad or get gobbled by the kids. I’d like to try this recipe for Dan Dan Noodles – an Asian noodle dish featuring cucumbers. I need to dig that out of my “try these” recipe file.

Delicata Squash
This is a squash that taste similar to a sweet potato, but belongs to the same species as summer squash. Thank you Wikipedia! I would like to try and make a mash or puree with it.

Eggplant, Garlic, some Onions and Peppers
I’m going to make my favorite eggplant dish, Afghan Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce.

Tomatoes
First thing I have to do if fulfill my promise to my husband – he wants some tomatoes all his own that he can just slice and eat. Admittedly the best thing to do with a summer tomato!
The Food Network is celebrating #cookingwith tomatoes this week in their Summer Fest blog celebration. The Purple Cook is again a contributor. Check it out on FN Dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment