Wednesday, August 3, 2011

CSA stressing me out?

I am a planner. That’s good, I get things done, we get out and do things, etc. It causes stress for me when things don’t go as planned. We were supposed to grab dinner and see a water ski show last night. My husband and I decided that was not the best use of our time and resources. We decided this while I was at a playground with friends. I could feel the stress brewing in the pit of my stomach…What are we going to eat for dinner? All the protein in the house was frozen. Then my CSA arrived at my house and the panic continued. Yes, here is all this food, but what can I make? I could make many things, but I’ve got to get it all cleaned and find a place for it in the fridge, and the kids are starving so I need something quick. A clance in the fridge and I realize how much food I still have from last week’s CSA. What’s going on? Am I letting my CSA stress me out?

Here is the thing…belonging to a CSA is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself as a cook and the eating habits of my family. That’s why I have this blog, to share all the goodness of life with a CSA. The reality is that a CSA is also a lot of work and it can get ahead of you. That’s how I was feeling last night. Today I need to take stock and figure out how all this food is going to grace the table. Dinner last night? I came up with a pretty good Spicy Garlic Penne with Broccoli. It took no time and I made it while I stored the vegetables.

Tuesday Menu – Spicy Garlic Penne with Broccoli, Salad
Farm Share Produce – Broccoli, Salad Mix, Onions, Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Tomatoes

First time this year, every vegetable in the garden salad was from the farm!

Spicy Garlic Penne with Broccoli

Printable Version

I have a recipe for something like this from a friend. In the chaos of dinner prep last night I couldn’t find it. So this is what I did.

6-8 cloves of garlic, ends trimmed, unpeeled
¼ cup pine nuts
½ pound of Penne
1 head of Broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive oIl
½ t crushed red pepper
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Parmesan, for sprinkling

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place garlic cloves in aluminum foil packet. Place the packet in oven proof skillet and roast for 30 minutes. 15 minutes into the roasting time add the pine nuts to the skillet and toast for the remainder of the garlic’s cooking time. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, follow the package directions for the penne. 6 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the broccoli into the pot with the pasta to cook. Drain broccoli pasta mixture and set aside.

In a small bowl combine oil, red pepper, salt and pepper. Add the garlic by pushing the smooshy, smooth garlic out of their papers. Use a fork and mash the garlic into the oil. Combine the pasta, broccoli and pine nuts with the oil garlic mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment