Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas, Roasted Rutabaga


It is Wednesday afternoon, and I am just getting around to posting about Monday’s dinner and I think it’s because I just didn’t like the empanadas. Today as I was out and about I thought of a sauce to try on the leftovers, sorry, still didn’t like it.

I had never had Rutabaga, I like it and am anxious to try other Rutabaga Recipes.

Meatless Monday Menu – Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas, Cardamom and Thyme Roasted Rutabaga
Farm Share Produce – Sweet Potatoes, Rutabaga

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=50400000108386

NOTES: My biggest complaint was that these were dry. They needed a really buttery crust. I did not make the crust from scratch as called for in the recipe, I just used a store bought pre-made. I also did not think any of the poblano flavor came through. I made a sauce with sour cream, whipping cream and chipotle in adobo sauce to go with the leftovers at lunch. It didn’t help.

Cardamom and Thyme Roasted Rutabaga
Inspired by http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Rutabaga-Puree-with-Cardamom-and-Thyme-236250

1 Rutabaga, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 T olive oil
1 t ground Cardamom
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss Rutabaga cubes with olive oil and Cardamom and spread onto baking pan in one layer. Lay thyme sprigs on top of Rutabaga. Bake for 50 minutes, tossing Rutabaga cubes halfway through. Discard thyme sprigs and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment