Wednesday, December 15, 2010

40 pound winter storage box

The box that came home was 41.2 pounds. The actual box is really nice - really strong, it will come in handy.

We got...

Beets (large bag), Butternut Squash (1), Cabbage (1 head), Carrots (large bag), Onions (large bag), Potatoes (large bag), Rutabaga (1), Sweet Potatoes (large bag)

I will be interested to see how long these vegetables last us. I have no good guesstimate. I do have a few plans.

Beets
If I'm not getting through them fast enough, I may just roast them all and then put them in the freezer roasted. Then pull out as many as I need.

Butternut Squash
I tend not to make risotto because it needs so much attention and I constantly get called away from cooking by my family. I have made one butternut squash risotto in the last few years with success.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe2/index.html

Cabbage
I got a few responses to my request for cabbage. This Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce looks goods.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/beef_cabbage_stir_fry_with_peanut_sauce.html

We'll just have to see how the other vegetables get used.
So bummed I didn't get any celeriac this season. I'll have to head to the winter market soon and pick some up. I've got some great recipes I've been excited to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment