Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

It was cold here Friday! I also had all this leftover chicken in the fridge. Chicken Noodle Soup seemed like a perfect Friday night get warm and cozy dinner.

Friday Menu – Chicken Noodle Soup, Salad, Dinner Rolls
Farm Share Produce – Carrots
Other Local Produce – frozen peas from the farmer’s market in the spring

Chicken Noodle Soup
Based on http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/six-ingredient-chicken-noodle-soup

8 cups chicken broth
1 ½ - 2 cups carrots, cut into ¼ inch thick rounds
1 T peanut butter
1 cup cut spaghetti (wonderful new product from Barilla)
2 ½ cup shredded chicken
1 overflowing cup frozen peas
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot bring broth to a boil. Add carrots and cook on medium-high for 10 minutes. Add pasta and peanut butter. Allow peanut butter to heat up, then whisk in to combine smoothly with broth. Cook an additional 8 minutes. Add chicken and peas, allow to warm through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

NOTES:
• If you are starting with raw bone in chicken the original recipe, also starts there with a good method.
• I’ve been meaning to put a reminder on the blog about my favorite site about how to freeze vegetables, using the frozen peas from spring gives me the perfect opportunity. http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=GH1503

2 comments:

  1. What did the peanut butter do for the flavor of the chicken soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband claims my aunt told him to add PB to chicken soup years ago.
    I have a friend who is a very good, well rounded cook. He says a little bit of PB is essential to good chicken soup. I've been adding it my chicken soup for years. I think it add depth to the soup. If you add too much, my friend says just turn into Thai Chicken Soup.

    ReplyDelete