Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pesto Sausage and Peppers with Cous Cous

This was on the menu last week. I made it last Thursday. It was one of those days when I knew what I was making for dinner and all day I looked forward to the dish. While I was making it yummy smells filled the kitchen and when it was done, it looked GOOD! I never bring food to the table in serving dishes – we always just get our food in the kitchen and bring it to the table. Well it looked so pretty, I decided to serve it at the table and on the way there I dropped it. Shards of glass everywhere and dinner ruined!!!!

I’m not quite sure I’m over it yet, but I tried again last night and very much enjoyed dinner.

Wednesday Menu – Pesto Sausage and Peppers with Cous Cous
Farm Share Produce – Bell Pepper, Carmen Pepper, Mariachi Pepper, Roma Tomato, Basil

Pesto Sausage and Peppers with Cous Cous
Adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/sausage-and-pepper-skewers-recipe/index.html

1 cup Cous Cous
½ large Bell Pepper
1 Carmen Pepper
1 Mariachi Pepper
1 large Onion
1 large Roma Tomato
4 links Chicken Sausage
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
½ cup of Basil leaves
1 T White Wine Vinegar

Prepare Cous Cous according to package directions.

Roughly chop peppers, onion, tomato and sausage into chunks. Grill vegetables and sausage for 5 minutes on the grill. (I used my Foreman Grill and just spread them out, but a grill basket would work great on the grill).

Meanwhile, puree the oil, salt and pepper, basil, and vinegar (Great time to get out that immersion blender!)

At the end of the 5 minutes on the grill, brush the sausage and vegetables with the pesto and cook an additional 5-6 minutes.

Toss the Cous Cous with half of the remaining pesto. Serve the sausage and vegetable on top of the Cous Cous with the remaining sauce for dipping.
NOTES: The original recipe and my first attempt were made with Cilantro pesto. I didn’t have any yesterday, so we went with Basil. The original recipe skewers the sausage and vegetables. When making dinner for a weeknight, I just don’t think it is worth the extra step.

No comments:

Post a Comment