Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lemon Rice and Eggplant-Chick Pea Curry

I had gotten an eggplant from a family member’s garden and thought I would make this dinner and freeze it, but then I thought why not just make it as a meatless dinner on Monday. I love cooking this dinner because the Lemon Rice smells delicious as it bubbles away. The eggplant curry at the end is tasty and fulfilling. This meal makes a great vegan meal. I often send it to a vegan family when they welcome a new baby or when they come for dinner.

Meatless Monday Menu – Lemon Rice and Eggplant-Chick Pea Curry
Farm Share Produce – Italia Sweet Pepper, Mariachi Pepper
Other Local Produce – Eggplant

Lemon Rice and Eggplant-Chick Pea Curry
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/lemon-rice-and-eggplant-chick-pea-curry-recipe/index.html

The only change I made to the recipe was I leave the butter out of the rice. It keeps it vegan and I don’t think it needs the fat or flavor – once the curry is on the rice this dish is full of flavor. I used the peppers we got from our CSA – Italia Sweet and Mariachi- as a substitute for the bell pepper.

The Naptime Chef had a nice piece on Meatless Mondays recently.
http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2010/09/06/meatless-monday-5-reasons-why-it-matters/

No comments:

Post a Comment