Sunday, August 15, 2010

Spaghetti Alla Norma

My husband says, “Did you get a whole lot of eggplant this week?” Actually, yes I got a really big eggplant in my CSA with which I was able to make the Afghan Eggplant TH night and the Spaghetti F night. He must remember, I LOVE eggplant! For dessert I made Blackberry Ice Cream – I’ll post that recipe separately.

Friday Menu – Spaghetti Alla Norma, Salad, Blackberry Ice Cream
Farm Share Produce – Eggplant, Juliet Tomatoes, Golden Rave Tomatoes, Jalapeno, Basil, Head Lettuce, Italia Peppers, Cucumber
Other Local Produce – Blackberries

Spaghetti Alla Norma
Adapted from The Great Green Cookbook

1 medium eggplant, sliced
½ pound spaghetti
2 T olive oil
6 oz. tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
2 – 3 T Ricotta cheese
5-6 large leaves of basil, sliced
Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling

Grill the eggplant slices 5 minutes per side. Allow to cool and then dice.
(Pardon the interruption - Since I’d cut the eggplant the night before I did this step on the Foreman while I cooked TH night’s dinner. I saved the slices in the refrigerator and then making this dinner was quick and easy. If you’ve got the grill on one night, slice up the eggplant, grill it, and save it for another day. Works great!)

Meanwhile, boil the spaghetti according to the package directions. Reserve the pasta water.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Soften the tomatoes and jalapeno for 5-6 minutes. Add the eggplant for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the ricotta until it melts. Add pasta water by the ladle until the sauce is the consistency you prefer. Add the basil.

Mix together the pasta and the sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment