Wednesday, October 26, 2011

CSA Bits'n'Pieces

Spicy Eggs
Mario Batali made the best eggs sometime last week on “The Chew”.  I made them for lunch the other day using a little leftover onion, some pieces of jalapeno from the freezer, and some leftover tomato sauce that I always use CSA garlic, onion, and carrot to make.  Delicious and quick!!!

Spicy Eggs
 
Olive Oil
¼ onion, roughly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (keep the seeds for extra heat)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
Heat olive oil in a small to medium size skillet.  Add the onion and jalapeno.  Cook until beginning to soften and brown.  Add tomato sauce.  When sauce begins to boil crack eggs into the liquid to poach.  Cook until eggs set.  Salt and Pepper to taste. 

Mini Squash Muffins
 
Got about ¼ cup of squash or pumpkin puree leftover?  Make Mini Squash Muffins!  Add ¼ cup of puree and an extra egg to an 8.5 oz. corn muffin mix and bake in mini muffin tins.  Thanks to the October “Food Network Magazine” article for “A Month of Pumpkin” ideas for these muffins.

Turnips Greens
 
We got a bunch of turnips last week and again this week.  Today I made a batch of BraisedTurnip Greens.  I put ½ - ¾ cup servings in freezer bags.  I can get these out of the freezer for a quick lunch over pasta or with a thick slice of crusty bread.

Freezing Items
 
I cut up a Butternut Squash into about 1 inch cubes.  I had 2 freezer bags, I put half of the Butternut Squash cubes into each to freeze.
I roughly chopped  Broccoli Rabe, blanched it for 2 minutes, moved it to an ice bath, and drained it.  This has also been put away in the freezer.  It can be used as a substitute in any recipe calling for frozen spinach.
Last week I made Arugula Pesto and froze it in ice cube trays.
Today I did an inventory of my freezer.  I currently have 25 items in there from this year’s Vegetable CSA.  After our last delivery I’m thinking of sharing that list on the blog and spending the winter months working my way through them with more recipes to share. 

1 comment: