Monday, May 16, 2011

Maple Glazed Carrots

Sunday Menu – Maple Mustard Grilled Chicken Thighs, Maple Glazed Carrots, Roasted Potatoes
Local Food – Maple Syrup, Carrots

Currently there are beautiful potatoes at the market too, but I’m having a Pantry Week at my house. For me this means trying to plan my menu so I clean out the freezer and the pantry shelves. Last night I made a dent in the potatoes I have on hand and used up some chicken thighs I had frozen.

Maple Glazed Carrots

Printable Version
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/79711009/Maple-Glazed-Carrots

This original recipe calls for 3 pounds of carrots. That is a lot! I changed the proportions to make one pound of carrots.
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/maple-glazed-carrots-00000000007482/index.html

1 pound carrots, sliced ¼ inch thick on the diagonal
1 ½ T maple syrup
1 T unsalted butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 T water

In a skillet combine carrots, syrup, butter, water, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Partially cover the skillet and cook until carrots are tender and the liquid has reduced to a glaze, 18-20 minutes. Stir once during cooking time.

NOTE: if carrots are tender and the liquid has not reduced to a glaze, uncover the skillet turn up the heat slightly and cook until a glaze forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment