Friday, January 21, 2011

North African Salmon Salad

I noted the other day that I had one carrot left from my 40 pound vegetable box. Well, it was a very large carrot. I used half of it in this recipe calling for 2 carrots. I’ll have to find a really good use for my last bit of carrot.

Thursday Menu – North African Inspired Salmon Salad, Dinner Rolls
Farm Share Produce – Carrot

North African Inspired Salmon Salad
From Penzeys Spice Winter 2011 Catalog

Spice Rub:
¼ t salt
½ t ground coriander
½ t ground cumin
¼ t smoked paprika
½ t brown sugar
½ t garlic powder

Dressing:
2 T mayonnaise (I used plain yogurt)
1 T honey
1 t Dijon mustard
2 T white wine vinegar
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t whole fennel seed
½ t smoked paprika
½ t ground coriander

Salad:
2 salmon filets
6 cups salad greens
1 cup grated carrot
4 T chopped, dried dates (I substituted raisins and craisins)
2 T toasted pine nuts

Combine the spice rub ingredients. Rub the Salmon evenly with the spice rub.
(I put them on the George Forman Grill for 8 minutes.)
OR cook Salmon on a grill pan over medium high heat for 3 minutes skin side down, then flip and cook an additional 5 minutes.

While the Salmon cooks, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth and blended.
Divide the salad greens between two plates and sprinkle with carrots, dates, and pine nuts. When Salmon is cooked place on top of salad and drizzle with dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment