Tuesday, January 18, 2011

40 pound vegetable box update

This would be the day for pick-up of a 30 pound box of vegetables in our winter share. Our winter share starts next year. We got our 40 pound box on December 14 and wondered if I would be ready for one by now – I am! This year we got one 40 pound box of winter storage vegetables. Next year we will get three 30 pound boxes in December, January, and February. Can’t wait!

In our box we got Beets, Butternut Squash, Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Rutabaga, and Sweet Potatoes.
My Butternut Squash, Cabbage, and Rutabaga are gone. I have one Onion and one Carrot left. I have about 5 or 6 small Potatoes left. All of these will be gone this week.
I have Beets and Sweet Potatoes. Sweet Potatoes will be no problem. Actually, I’ve kind of been saving them. I’ve always saved my favorite foods for last. The Beets, well I’m not saving them, I’m just not going through them very fast. I’ll just have to find excuses to make Red Velvet Cake.

I did simply bake sweet potatoes for dinner Sunday. Yum! With the leftovers this morning I’m making muffins. Here is the basic recipe for muffins with veggie leftovers.
http://purplecook.blogspot.com/2011/01/muffins.html
I pureed the sweet potato with the applesauce to break up the fibrous nature. I used cinnamon as the flavor with these. I always add chocolate chips and my kids gobble these up.

Red Velvet Cakes – with Beets
http://purplecook.blogspot.com/2010/08/red-velvet-cupcakes-secret-beets.html

No comments:

Post a Comment