Thursday, January 27, 2011

Five Days to CSA sign up day

I said the other day that I sought out a CSA as a way to eat local food to cut down on the energy used to transport our food. Getting a CSA is one of the best things I’ve ever done and my commitment to our farm has grown. I was reading an article in “Asparagus to Zucchini” titled 10 Easy Steps to Incorporate More Local and Seasonal Food into Your Diet by Lauri McKean. Her first suggestion is to start slowly. I agree! You choose your starting place, maybe it’s a monthly or weekly visit to the farmer’s market, or getting a CSA, or eating at a restaurant committed to local and seasonal food.

I started with sharing our CSA share. Then last year I added a fruit share. For 2011 we will share our vegetable share, we have our own fruit share, a beef share, and a winter share. In the future we will likely have our own vegetable share, I’d like to find a chicken and egg share that works for us, and I’d like to find locally milled flour.

Start slowly, but find something local to pick or buy, cut up, cook and eat! It’s fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment