Monday, July 12, 2010

Creamy Corn Soup and Grilled Peaches Dessert

My in-laws and I were at a market that other day that specializes in produce, much of which is local. The best items we got were corn and white peaches, local of course. Both of these items when in season are so good they just take care of themselves, but our eyes were a little bigger than our stomachs buying the first of the season. I needed to do something with the corn and peaches, and luckily my mother-in-law gave me this great cookbook, “Great Food Fast” which is put out by the publishers of Everyday Food. I saw that it was out and I wasn’t much interested, but once I looked through it I was hooked. It is organized by season and the recipes are simple, but look so tasty. I easily found something to make with the corn and peaches. There will be lots more to share from this book in the weeks to come.

Monday Menu: Creamy Corn Soup, Hamburgers and Brats, Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream and Crushed Cookies

Creamy Corn Soup
From “Great Food Fast” by the publishers of Everyday Food
Adapted for portion sizes

8 ears of corn
2 T of butter
Coarse salt

Remove the kernels and puree with accumulated juices in 1 cup of water until chunky.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the corn, butter, 2 cups of water, and 2 t coarse salt until the butter is melted and the corn heated through.

Serve hot with any or all of the following garnishes: lime wedges, crushed tortilla chips, or scallions.

NOTE: I made the soup with corn that had already been boiled. They suggest making it with fresh corn. You can freeze the soup for up to six months. We had it with all three garnishes and loved it.

Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream and Crushed Cookies
Adapted from “Great Food Fast” by the publishers of Everyday Food

4 peaches, halved and pitted
2 T melted butter
Vanilla ice cream
Crushed Cookies

Heat grill to medium low. Brush both sides of the peach with butter. Place peaches on the grill, skin side up. Cook until peaches are charred and softened, 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
Place two peach halves in a bowl. Add two scoops of ice cream and sprinkle with crushed cookies.

NOTE: I grilled the peaches before I grilled anything else for dinner. I put them in a baking dish and covered them. When it was time for dessert, I warmed the halves in the microwave and then added the ice cream and cookies. I used Keebler Sandies for the cookie, but I think sugar or shortbread cookies would work too. The original recipe suggests amaretti cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment