Monday, August 6, 2012

Firecracker Beet Slaw

I am always looking for ways to use my beets.  They are not a vegetable I enjoy.  BUT, I do enjoy spicy food.  This recipe for Firecracker Beet Slaw in our CSA newsletter caught my attention.  
Sunday Menu – BBQ Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Firecracker Beet Slaw
Farm Share Food – Corn, Beets, Garlic
 
Firecracker Beet Slaw
 
3 cups raw Beets, shredded
1 cup Granny Smith Apple, shredded
4 Scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 T Extra Virgin Olive OIl
3 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Agave Nectar
2 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
2 t canned Chipotles and sauce
Salt, to taste
 
Toss together Beets, Apple, and Scallions.
 
With an immersion blender or in a food processor, blend vinegar, oil, mustard, nectar, garlic, chipotles, and salt.   Add to Beet mixture and toss to coat. 
 
The notes on this recipe say this slaw gets better over time and can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
 
NOTE:  Chipotles in Adobo Sauce come in a small can.  You never need the whole can.  I always take the remainder, put it in a baggy and freeze it flat.  Then I just break off what I need the next time a recipe calls for this ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment