Saturday, June 5, 2010

Strawberry Sauce

We went strawberry picking today. The kids and I love to go berry picking. Today we brought home 5 quarts of strawberries. This is a tray of the strawberries ready to be frozen.

I like to lay the berries out on a tray, freeze them, and then put them in a freezer bag for storage. I find that if they go straight to the bag they just freeze in one big blob and you can’t just get out a few. I use the same method for blueberries, corn, peas, meatballs, cookie dough to be baked later and so on.

Today I’m going to make a batch of Strawberry Sauce. I make it every year. It is useful for so many things. The original recipe suggests pouring it warmed up over waffles, freeze it in paper cups with popsicle sticks, layer with fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola, spoon over ice cream or blend in a milkshake or smoothie.

Strawberry Sauce
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dessert-recipes/Strawberry-Sauce

NOTES: Another great way to use an immersion blender! I don’t strain the sauce. I just love the seeds on berries (strawberries, raspberries etc.) and never get rid of them.

This week I will use this sauce to make a salad dressing and a spicy sauce for simple grilled chicken, so check back soon. OH…and my CSA’s first pick is Tuesday, so it should be a good week all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment