Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall Fest: Turnip and Tomato Curry, Recipe Reviewed

Looking around for something to do with Turnips that caught my interest, I found a blog called CSA Girl – someone else sharing ideas about how to enjoy the adventures of a CSA.  She had a recipe for Turnip and Tomato Curry.  Since you get what you get in a CSA, my dish was more of a Potato and Turnip Curry due to the amount of Potatoes and Turnips we got in the share.
 


Monday Menu – Potato and Turnip Curry, Rice, Naan
Farm Share Food – Onion, Garlic, Turnips, Potatoes
 
Turnip and Tomato Curry
 
It is always a pleasant surprise to read a recipe that is of interest because it focuses on one ingredient I want to highlight from the CSA and then I notice I will also get to use many of the other items I have from the share.  This recipe was such a delight – in addition to Turnips, I put to good use my Onion, Garlic, and Potatoes.  I said my recipe was more of a Potato and Turnip Curry – the recipe calls for 1 ½ cups of diced turnips and ½ cup diced Potatoes.  We got a bunch of Turnips and a quart of Potatoes, so I just reversed these to be ½ cup of Turnips and 1 ½ cups of Potatoes.  I could have stretched the abundance further if I would have had time to roast my own Tomatoes and still had some Cilantro frozen. 
 
This dish was melt in your mouth yummy.  You could easily tell the difference between the tang of the Turnip and the comfort of the Potato.  An excellent pairing – Turnip and Potato.  I thought the dish could use a little heat.  I’ve been debating how to add this heat.  I’ve considered adding cayenne to the spices, a different curry, or serving with a little Sriracha.  Thoughts?
 
For more Turnip inspired dishes, check out all these great sites participating in Fall Fest this week...


No comments:

Post a Comment