Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Essential CSA Kitchen Tools – Ice Cube Trays


Do you have any ice cube trays?  Many of us may not because our refrigerators have ice makers. 
 
I do have several ice cube trays I use to store my CSA herbs and pesto.  I had a friend who went out and bought some after I told her how to store her CSA herbs.
 
In our CSA we get a small handful of two or three herbs every week.  Sometimes I don’t use them quick enough.  Like Basil on a Caprese Salad is only a scattering of leaves.  The basil is well used, but does not get you through the whole handful.    When we get Dill I do not have enough recipes in my repertoire or the taste buds for Dill to use it all in a timely fashion.  So...ice cube trays become an essential CSA Kitchen Tool.
 
Check out this post from 2010 about Freezing Herbs.  It details the process of freezing the herbs and putting them to use all winter in soups, stews, and braises.
 
I also will make pesto from all of my herbs and freeze them in the ice cube trays.  Then you can use them as needed. 
 
I’ve made several varieties of pesto in the past.
 
Basil Pesto
Arugula Pesto
Cilantro Pesto
Parsley Pesto
 
Looking forward to CSA season!  7 weeks till the first pick up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment