Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Week 21 of 2011

With vegetable pick up this week our CSA comes to a close for the 2011 season.  Our farm lost thousands of pounds of vegetables due to Hurricanes Irene and Lee, and so we finish up the first week of November.  Every week since the Hurricanes I’ve been delightfully surprised at the abundance of wonderful vegetables I bring home.  I didn’t think we would see any more greens after the storms, but delighted again we’ve enjoyed several weeks of salad greens and I have Kale and Broccoli Rabe in the freezer to use in soups and stews.   
Thank you for a wonderful season!
 
We got...
 
Beefsteak Tomatoes, Beets, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes
 
Fruit: Apples
 
My plans...
 
Beets
I have so many beets!  They store nicely in the refrigerator, so we can use them over the next couple of months.  Here are some ideas I may try.
 
Vegetable Pancakes
Michael Symon made a Goat Cheese and Beet Ravioli on the “Chew”

I’ve never made Borscht and this recipe looks yummy!

Butternut Squash
I’ve been freezing my Butternut Squash.  In the coming weeks I will make...
 
and if you haven’t made it yet the Braised Chicken with ButternutSquash and Cranberries, it is this season’s winner!

Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, and Sweet Potatoes
I’m so happy to have these.  I’ve got them stored and will chip away at them over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment