Friday, March 11, 2011

A Study of Beets – Part Two

In the late spring I plan to have a poll on the blog. I’m going to ask you to pick one of three books to be featured each of the 25 weeks of the regular CSA season. Since beets seem to be the “uhhh” vegetable of Vegetable Box #2, I thought I’d use them to sample each of the books I’d like to feature in the upcoming season.

Book #2 is “From Asparagus to Zucchini” presented by the Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition
This is a cook book for CSA members. I thought it would be fun to highlight this book weekly on the blog by sharing one of the recipes for a vegetable we got that week. Likely something hard, kooky, or a technique I’ve not tried. I’d let you know the reviews, good or bad.


Thursday Menu – Adobo Tuna, Vegetable Biryani, Warm Beet Salad
Farm Share Produce – Beets
Other Local Produce- Spinach

Two-Way Street Beets (the Warm Beet Salad)
from From Asparagus to Zucchini” presented by the Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition

NOTE: The following is the recipe as written. The vegetable box beets did not come with their greens. I had spinach from the Farmer’s Market, so I used that instead. I also didn’t have any hot chile oil – so I used Thai Chile Garlic Sauce.

2 bunches small beets
Juice of 1 orange (approx. 2 T)
1 T butter, softened
Pepper
1 t peanut oil
1 t sesame oil
1 t hot chile oil
1-2 T soy sauce

Cut beets off stems. Gently scrub beets. Steam beets until tender 20-30 minutes. Cool briefly, peel off skins, and cut into wedges. Toss with orange juice, butter, and pepper; cover and keep warm.

While beets steam – wash the greens. Cut the stems into 3 inch pieces and coarsely chop the greens; set aside the stems and green in separate piles.

Close to serving time, heat heavy skillet over medium and heat the oils. Add stem; sauté 2-3 minutes. Add greens; cook tossing often until limp. Toss in the soy sauce. Put the greens on a platter and top with warm beet wedges.

I choose this recipe to share because I had never steamed beets. I liked it. I thought they peeled really easily. My beets were large and took about 45 – 50 minutes to steam.

Vegetable Biryani
http://purplecook.blogspot.com/2011/03/vegetable-biryani.html

No comments:

Post a Comment