Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Blackberry Pie No. 1

My friend’s neighbor has this fantastic blackberry bush. I brought home at least 10 cups of blackberries the other day. From that, I’m going to make two different pies using two different methods. Blackberry Pie No. 2 will be served on Friday night – so watch for that one. I’m hoping to go back today and get at least two more pints so I can make ice cream.

Tuesday Menu – Moroccan Grilled Salmon, Salad, Blackberry Pie
Farm Share Produce – Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Onion
Other Local Produce – Salad Greens, Blackberries


Blackberry Pie No. 1
Adapted from Rhode Island Blueberry Pie, a recipe Nonna shared with us.

We loved this pie!!!

1 cooked pie shell
4 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup water
2 T lemon juice
2 T flour
1/4 t salt

A:
Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cup berries, 3/4 cup of water, and lemon juice in a medium pan; cook till berries are very soft.

B:
Make a paste of 1/4 cup water, 2 T flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and a small amount of mixture A.

C:
Combine A and B and cook until mixture is thickened.

D:
Add C to 3 cups of berries and place in baked crust. Serve with whipped cream.

NOTE: Next time I make this I’m going to use a slotted spoon to put the berries in the pie crust and then pour on the amount of liquid still needed. I just put the whole mixture in and had a bit of a spill – messy! I also put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. This was originally for blueberries, so I’m sure it would work great with any berry.

No comments:

Post a Comment