Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cilantro Rice and Beans

As I chat with folks about their CSA and how they are doing getting through all the vegetables each week, lots of people say, “I do okay, except for getting through the herbs.” So I’m going to try and focus on getting through the herbs this week.

I feel like I haven’t cooked in days. We went to a big party on Saturday and Sunday we were bumming around for Father’s Day and wound up eating out. While I have a recipe to share from last night’s dinner (using herbs I might add), it was this crazy who wants to eat what as my oldest and I raced out the door at 5:30. So I guess you could say this is a quick and easy Meatless Monday dinner.

Meatless Monday Menu: Cilantro Rice and Beans
Farm Share Produce: Cilantro
Other Local Produce: Green Garlic

Cilantro Rice and Beans

1 ½ cup frozen brown rice (defrosted) or other cooked rice
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Perfect-Brown-Rice-in-a-Steamer-298971

1-2 t olive oil
½ small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic or stem of green garlic, minced
1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1-2 t adobo sauce
2 T cilantro, chopped finely
1 T lime juice

Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add onion, garlic, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cilantro, and lime juice. Cook until onions are translucent on medium high heat for about 4-6 minutes. Add defrosted rice and warm through.

1 can black beans (14.5 oz), reserve 2 T of liquid and then rinse and drain beans
2 T lime juice
1 t cumin
1 t hot sauce

To a saucepan add reserve bean liquid, lime juice, cumin, hot sauce, and rinsed black beans. Warm through on medium heat.

Serve beans over cilantro rice with extras such as, avocado slices, chopped cilantro, sour cream or salsa.

NOTE: Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce come in a small can, but you never need the whole thing. I put them in a sandwich bag and lay them flat in the freezer. Once frozen I just break off as many peppers as I want and the appropriate amount of sauce usually comes with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment